Become an Eiteljorg Artist in Residence
Share your art and culture with the Indianapolis community
Each year, the Eiteljorg selects several Native American artists from across the United States and Canada to share their talents with the local community. Selected artists receive an honorarium and work closely with staff to plan and carry out demonstrations, workshops, discussions, and community projects. Residency lengths vary, but range from one and three weeks in duration.
How it helps you as an artist: The artist-in-residence (AIR) program will give you experience working with a variety of audiences in different settings. In addition to these experiences, AIRs have classroom space and time to work on their own projects, receive a behind the scenes tour of the museum’s collections, and are able to sell work through the museum store.
How it helps support the Eiteljorg: The Eiteljorg AIR program strives to highlight diverse arts from across Native America. Through their work with students, families, adults, and seniors, AIRs have an opportunity to have a meaningful impact on the local community.
Residencies are awarded on an ongoing basis as funding becomes available. Many factors go into the decision to award a residency, including but not limited to the following:
- Does the artist have demonstrated experience working with a variety of audiences?
- Does the artist have experience with school audiences in particular?
- Is the artist’s medium unique? Has a similar medium been featured recently?
- Can the artist conduct workshops, provide demonstrations, and carry out classroom and community projects at the museum and in the local community?
- Does the artist’s work relate to other programs or exhibits at the museum?
In order to be eligible for the Eiteljorg AIR program, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Provide tribal documentation or obtain an official statement on tribal letterhead signed by an official from the tribe which the artist claims decent verifying you as an Indian Artist or Culture Bearer.
- Eligible artists are 21 years of age or older and have at least 5 years of experience.
- Have demonstrated experience working with a variety of audiences. Experience working with students in a classroom setting is preferred.
Apply to Become an Eiteljorg Artist in Residence
"*" indicates required fields